What do you do when you’re in a role and company that once brought you empjoyment, but now the magic has died down due to changes in your organization and industry.
Our featured empjoyee Jess Bertling has a one solution: If you’re not happy with your situation, then CHANGE IT! During today’s discussion, you’ll hear Jess share how she changed her situation at least 2 times, once to incorporate more enjoyment in the role that she currently had and again to find a new company that met the needs she had identified for her next level of empjoyment.
Listen to this episode now to learn how to:
- Pilot your own side project that both builds experience in areas you want to grow in and benefits your organization
- Navigate the structure of the development platform GitHub used by developers worldwide
- Identify resources available to help you make your next career transition, regardless of your location and professional background
TL;DL (Too long; Didn’t Listen): 3 Actionable Takeaways
- Unlike other professionals, tech professionals aren’t paid to know all the answers in advance, but rather are paid to figure out how to find those answers
- Take the time to do the difficult task of figuring out what you want out of work and life to increase your chance to experience your empjoyment
- Avoid the trap of comparing yourself and your situation to others to better manage self-doubt and the imposter syndrome (note: it’s possible that it will never be eliminated, but you can certainly still accomplish what you want despite it)
But wait there’s more! Share your #1 takeaway with today’s featured Empjoyee and other Empjoyees in the Empjoyment community!
From Insight to Action
“There’s no right way to do the wrong thing” – Unknown
#Joyney30: Go forth and teach someone something (ANYTHING) and come back and share how that experience was for you within the Empjoyment Community.
Additional Resources to Accelerate your Growth
- Get to know more about Jess’ tech-based startup accelerator program: NewBoCo
- Learn how web development with NewBoCo’s DeltaV adult coding school
- Connect with Jess on LinkedIn
- Continue the discussion with other tech career changers who have been in your shoes in the Empjoyment Community
Getting to Know Today’s Featured Empjoyee: Jess Bertling!
Jess Bertling is an avid gardener who loves to help things grow – especially ideas.
After receiving her degree in Digital Media and Design, she spent eight years in e-commerce specializing in user experience design and front end web development.
She now works with the nonprofit NewBoCo, where she builds products for tech startups and teaches web development at the DeltaV Code School.
Spread the Joy to Help Others Experience Empjoyment
Kudos to you for taking another step towards experiencing enjoyment through employment through today’s episode.
If you find this podcast helpful, we would greatly appreciate if you took a minute or two to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast in iTunes. They’re extremely helpful when it comes to helping new Empjoyees know that this is a podcast that really has their interest at heart. Plus, we read each and every one personally!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes to make sure that you never miss an episode, share the episode with one person you know who would benefit from today’s episode, and let us know if you’d like to share your story as a featured Empjoyee to help others learn from your experience too.