Are you struggling to find a role with responsibilities where you feel you’ll really be able to experience enjoyment through employment? Perhaps you’re not sure about what your passions are, or what your purpose is.
One thing that differentiates Empjoyees who are experience enjoyment through employment is a deep connection to the problem that they are solving through work.
Learn from Elan Greenberg, our featured Empjoyee as he shares how he has been able to frame his empjoyment experience around the lens of a challenge that inspires him.
Listen to this episode to hear Elan share:
- His lessons learned from his transitions from the Marines to Investment Banking to Senior Manager at DoorDash, a fast-growing technology company focused in on-demand delivery
- The methodical approach he used to structure his job search and systematically identify the companies and people he wanted to solve interesting problems with
- What empjoyment means to him and how identifying that has kept him engaged in his work
TL;DL (Too long; Didn’t Listen): 3 Actionable Takeaways
- Adapt to your new environment faster by accessing what actions you should keep, leave, or add from your previous work experience to your new company culture (Elan recommends participating in Affinity Groups and Employee Resource Groups to help make that transition)
- Regardless of your role, title, and past experience, seek to add value through servantile leadership and providing disproportionate value to the people and customers you serve
- Identify and validate your constraints for your next role search with people currently working in tech and ask deep questions to get a sense of their empjoyment and the types of problems you’d be solving
But wait there’s more! Share your #1 takeaway with today’s featured Empjoyee and other Empjoyees in the Empjoyment community!
From Insight to Action
Elan broke down his framework for identifying the best opportunities for him to find empjoyment in his career.
#Joyney31: What is one deep question that you have asked/will ask someone to during a coffee chat to get a better understanding of the role, company, and problems you can solve? Share it with us in the Empjoyment Community!
Additional Resources to Accelerate your Growth
- Find out more about Elan’s company: DoorDash
- Connect with Elan on LinkedIn
- Are you ready to experience Empjoyment as well? Schedule your complimentary 1-on-1 possibility exploration experience today
- Continue the discussion with other tech career changers who have been in your shoes in the Empjoyment Community
Getting to Know Today’s Featured Empjoyee: Elan Greenberg!
Elan Greenberg attended Cornell University on an NROTC scholarship and began his career as a Logistics Officer in the U.S. Marines.
After 5 years on active duty, and after earning an MBA from NYU, he worked at Morgan Stanley as an Investment Banker in the Mergers & Acquisitions Group.
Elan is now a Senior Manager with venture-backed DoorDash where he is responsible for business operations and logistics across the greater New York market. He remains a drilling reservist in the Marine Corps Reserve.
Elan guiding motto comes in the form of a stanza of a poem. The poem is captured below.
IT COULDN’T BE DONE by EDGAR ALBERT GUEST
Spread the Joy to Help Others Experience Empjoyment
Kudos to you for taking another step towards experiencing enjoyment through employment through today’s episode.
If you find this podcast helpful, we would greatly appreciate if you took a minute or two to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast in iTunes. They’re extremely helpful when it comes to helping new Empjoyees know that this is a podcast that really has their interest at heart. Plus, we read each and every one personally!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes to make sure that you never miss an episode, share the episode with one person you know who would benefit from today’s episode, and let us know if you’d like to share your story as a featured Empjoyee to help others learn from your experience too.