DeVon Lineman is no stranger to bad news. Despite completing all of the coursework to obtain a bachelor’s AND master’s degree in mathematics, financial difficulties prevented him from earning either.
He approached the problem like any game or sport: with persistence, creativity, and attention to detail. Today, he is the Lead Data Scientist at Forkcast where he builds machine learning algorithms using the technical skills he taught himself.
Listen to today’s episode as DeVon shares his love for problem solving, how it’s gotten him to where he is today, and how he continues to diligently overcome all the obstacles that stand in his path.
Subscribe to listen to this episode as we discuss how to:
- Use strategy in all situations – become even more effective through approaching problems in life and work as strategy games
- Make assumptions to become a better communicator and a more valuable team member in the midst of uncertainty and problem-solving
- See failure as the doorway to success, rather than the opposite of success
TL;DL (Too long; Didn’t Listen): 3 Actionable Takeaways
- Apply to every position you’d be happy to get. It’s their job to decide if you’re good enough – not yours.
- Your problem has a solution. It might not be your favorite option, but the answer exists. Adopting this mindset will make you more capable and more resilient.
- Put yourself in positions to get lucky. Create as many avenues for chance to work in your favor as possible.
But wait there’s more! Share your #1 takeaway with today’s featured Empjoyee and other Empjoyees in the Empjoyment community!
From Insight to Action
DeVon believes that all problems have solutions, and that life becomes more interesting and more joyful when we remind ourselves of this.
So let’s honor that with our first ever: SOLUTIONS WEEK!
For the next week, when you find yourself uncomfortable, distressed, and overwhelmed, remember that this too has a solution and resolve to find it.
Identify your objective, and create a framework of assumptions to operate within. Act swiftly and with purpose. Does this feel different? Are you more capable and joyful when you turn problems into puzzles
#Joyney35: Share your experience with your Solutions week dedicated to being solutions-minded with us in the Empjoyment Community!
Additional Resources to Accelerate your Growth
- Continue the discussion with other tech career changers who have been in your shoes in the Empjoyment Community
Getting to Know Today’s Featured Empjoyee: DeVon Lineman!
Spread the Joy to Help Others Experience Empjoyment
Kudos to you for taking another step towards experiencing enjoyment through employment through today’s episode.
If you find this podcast helpful, we would greatly appreciate if you took a minute or two to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast in iTunes. They’re extremely helpful when it comes to helping new Empjoyees know that this is a podcast that really has their interest at heart. Plus, we read each and every one personally!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes to make sure that you never miss an episode, share the episode with one person you know who would benefit from today’s episode, and let us know if you’d like to share your story as a featured Empjoyee to help others learn from your experience too.